If you are a Michigan resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration, and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Michigan Secretary of State of a change in address within 10 days after moving to the new residence and obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license office is simple, and can be done in person and via mail. If you are a commercial license holder, apply in person at your local driver license office.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the Secretary of State office nearest you.
- Bring your current license or personal ID card and fill the Michigan Change of Address/Voter Registration form.
- There is no fee for an address change.
- You will be provided with a change of address sticker, which must be affixed to the back of your license or ID card. The sticker will be mailed to you in 14 days.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Complete the Michigan Change of Address/Voter Registration form and mail it to the following address:
Michigan Department of State
P.O. Box 30764
Lansing, Michigan 48909-8264
- There is no fee for address change service.
- Your replacement license (or a change of address sticker to be affixed to the back of your license) will arrive via mail in approximately 14 days.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- You must notify your local Secretary of State office of a change of address and have this information updated on your Michigan Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done soon after moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- You can either report the change of address in person by visiting your local Secretary of State office or via mail, and your records will be updated at no charge.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication. Address change should be notified within 30 days of moving using the form.
- To save time and money, some Michigan drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.