How to Apply for a Pennsylvania Identification Card
The Pennsylvania Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) issues non-driver identification cards to State residents who don't have a valid ID card, driver license or instruction permit from the State or any other jurisdiction. The ID card can be used to prove identity, age, and residence in various situations. The identification card is valid for eight years, and expires on your birthday eight years after it was issued.
APPLYING FOR A PENNSYLVANIA ID CARD
- Locate the Driver License Center nearest you, as you will have to apply for the ID card in person. You cannot apply online.
- Complete the Driver License/Identification Card form in blue or black ink.
- Bring proper identification. Depending on whether you are a U.S. or non-U.S. citizen, you will be asked to bring a set of acceptable documents to prove identity and residency. You will need two proofs of residency if you are 18 years or older.
- Out-of-state ID cards or driver's licenses must be surrendered when applying for the Pennsylvania ID card. The same name and date of birth must appear on all documents, or an association between the information shown. If this is not possible, additional proof such as marriage certificate must be provided.
- Provide proof of your social security number (SSN). If you have never been issued a SSN, you may be required to obtain one, or if you are not eligible for an SSN, bring a letter of denial/indecision from the Social Security Office.
- Pay the ID card application fee, currently $10.00, by cash or check. Check the appropriate PENNDOT site for fee changes, if any.
- On completing these requirements, your photograph will be taken and the card issued to you.
RENEWING A PENNSYLVANIA ID CARD
- You will receive notification that your PA ID card is due to expire, six months before the expiration date.
- Complete the form that comes attached with the notification.
- Enclose a check or money order for $10.00. Check the appropriate PENNDOT site for fee changes, if any.
- Mail the form and check to the address indicated on the notification.
- In six weeks, you will get a Camera Card. Take this to a local here, along with the required identity proof.
RENEWING A PENNSYLVANIA ID CARD ONLINE
You can skip the steps above and complete the renewal process online by accessing the Driver License and Photo ID Login Page on the PennDOT site and following the instructions given there. You will need your Photo ID card number and a valid credit card to pay the renewal processing fee of $10.00. Check the appropriate PENNDOT site for possible changes in fee.
REPLACING A LOST, STOLEN, OR DESTROYED ID CARD
You may be issued a replacement identification card if your original ID card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, or if you have had a name or address change. To replace your card:
- Complete Form DL-80.
- Mail this with a check to:
P.O. Box 68614
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17106-8614
There may be variations in fee depending on whether or not your photo is on record. Check for fee explanations at the bottom of Form DL-80.
- You will get your new ID by mail. If your picture is not on file, you will receive a Camera Card. Take this to a local here, along with the required identity proof.