How to Apply for a South Carolina Identification Card
The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues non-driver identification cards to State residents who don't have a valid ID card, driver license or instruction permits from the State or any other jurisdiction. The ID card can be used to prove your identity, age, and residence in a variety of situations. The identification card expires five years after it was issued.
APPLYING FOR A SOUTH CAROLINA ID CARD
- Locate the Office of Motor Vehicles nearest to you, as you will have to apply for the first ID card in person. You cannot apply online.
- Complete the Identification Card form.
- Bring proper identification which is available on the checklist issued by DMV.
- You must also provide proof of your social security number (SSN). If you do not have a SSN, you can substitute as mentioned in the checklist for first time applicants for ID cards and license. A letter from the Social Security Administration, a payroll stub or an original W-2 form are all acceptable forms of identification in lieu of the SSN.
- Provide proof of South Carolina residence.
- Pay the ID card application fee, currently $5.00, by cash, check, debit or credit card.
- You must also surrender any valid driver license or instruction permit issued by the state of South Carolina or any other jurisdiction.
RENEWING A SOUTH CAROLINA ID CARD
- You can renew your ID card at the Office of Motor Vehicles nearest you. You can also renew it online using the Public Services section of the DMV website.
REPLACING A LOST, STOLEN, OR DESTROYED ID CARDYou may be issued a replacement identification card if your original ID card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, or if you have had a name or address change.
- Locate the Office of Motor Vehicles nearest you, as you will have to apply for the ID card in person. You cannot apply online.
- Bring proper identification.
- You must also provide proof of your social security number (SSN).
- Provide proof of South Carolina residence, in the event that your address has changed.
- Pay the ID card replacement fee, currently $5.00, by cash, check, debit or credit card.