How to Apply for a Maine Identification Card
The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles issues non-driver identification cards to State residents who don't have a valid ID card, driver license or instruction permits from the State or any other jurisdiction. The ID card can be used to prove your identity, age, and residence in a variety of situations. The identification card is valid for six years, and expires on your birthday six years after it was issued.
APPLYING FOR A MAINE ID CARD
- Locate the BMV office nearest you, as you will have to apply for the ID card in person. You cannot apply online.
- Complete the Identification Card form.
- Bring proper identification. You will be asked to present two pieces of identification. One must show your date of birth and the other must bear your signature.
- Bring proof of Maine residency.
- Pay the ID card application fee, currently $5.
- You must also produce any valid driver license or instruction permit issued by the state of Maine or any other jurisdiction.
RENEWING A MAINE ID CARD
- You can apply online for renewal of your ID card if you have a digital card. Also, if you are below 23 years of age then locate the nearest BMV office as you will have to apply in person.
- You will need your Social Security Number, credit card (Visa or Mastercard) and a printer.
- Pay the ID card renewal fee, currently $5 by cash or credit card whichever is applicable.
REPLACING A LOST, STOLEN, OR DESTROYED ID CARDYou may be issued a replacement identification card if your original ID card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, or if you have had a name or address change.
- Locate the BMV office nearest you, as you will have to apply for the ID card in person if you do not have a digital photograph on file. Otherwise you can apply online.
- Bring proper identification. You will be asked to present two pieces of identification from the specified list.
- Provide proof of Maine residence, in the event that your address has changed.
- Pay the ID card replacement fee, currently $5, by cash or credit card whichever is applicable.