How to Handle a Change of Address in Colorado
If you are a Colorado resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of a change in address within 30 days of moving to a new residence. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license office is simple, and can be done in person or via mail. If you are a commercial license holder, apply in person at your local driver license office.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the driver license office nearest you.
- Download and complete the Change of Address Form.
- Deposit the form in any address change drop box at the driver license office.
- You should print your new address on the back of your license. The above form is only used to notify the DMV of the address change. You do not need to replace your license.
- There is no fee for an address change. But there is a $7.50 charge if you wish to obtain a duplicate license.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Complete the Change of Address Form and mail it in an envelope to the following address:
Division of Motor Vehicles Drivers Control Section Denver, CO 80261-0016
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATIONColorado Motor Vehicle rules require that all changes that are made to your name and/or address for Vehicle Registration, have to be submitted to the Title and Registration Office. in your county of residence or the Denver Motor Vehicle office. This will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion. There is no fee for changing your address on your registration.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some Colorado drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in Colorado, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a driver license office and provide proof of proof of identification.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.
- See ShipCarAcrossCountry.com if you require auto shipping services relating to your move.