How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Missouri
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Missouri. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Missouri for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a MVDL office near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In Missouri, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least twenty-five years ago and is used as a collector's item.
- The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built." The model year will be the year in which the vehicle was built.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLEYou can visit a MVDL office near you to register your antique or custom-built vehicle. Before registering your reconstructed vehicle, you will be required to get it inspected by an officer of Missouri's State Highway Patrol. Before scheduling an appointment for the inspection, you will be required to purchase the Vehicle Examination Certificate for $27.50 from a license office or order one from the DMV by mail from:
Motor Vehicle Bureau P.O. Box 2076 Jefferson City, MO 65105-2076Along with the completed and signed Vehicle Examination Certificate, you will need to bring the following materials to the registration office:
- A completed Application for Missouri Title and License.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
- A completed odometer disclosure statement.
- Notarized bills of sale for all the parts used.
- Photocopy of Certificate of Title of the vehicle from which the parts were taken for the reconstruction.
Motor Vehicle Bureau Special Titling Unit P.O. Box 2076 Jefferson City, MO 65105-2076It takes four to six weeks to receive your title in the mail. You can expedite the process to two weeks by paying an additional $5 for express mail.
FEESWhen registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate registration fees along with a $2.50 processing fee. You will also have to pay an additional sales tax on the vehicle. The Missouri MVDL accepts cash, money orders or checks (with two forms of identification).
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATIONYour custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.
- Auto Insurance is required for all custom vehicles operated in Missouri.
- See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
- If the inspector finds that the VIN number of your reconstructed vehicle needs to be replaced for your vehicle, you will be required to submit a notarized Application for Replacement of VIN along with a photocopy of the certificate of title and required fee of $10 (replacement identification number fee of $7.50 and a $2.50 processing fee) the following, prior to registration, to:
Motor Vehicle Bureau P.O. Box 2076 Jefferson City, MO 65105-2076