How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Oklahoma
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Oklahoma. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Oklahoma for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a Tag Agent's Office near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In Oklahoma, an antique/classic vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least twenty-five years ago.
- The State defines a custom-built remanufactured vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or reconditioned or remanufactured parts by a licensed vehicle manufacturer. The model year will be the year of the cab or body of the remanufactured vehicle.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLEYou will have to visit a Tag Agent's Office near you to register your antique/classic or custom-built remanufactured vehicle. When registering a custom-built remanufactured or antique/classic vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the renewal office:
- A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built remanufactured vehicle.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique/classic or custom-built remanufactured vehicles that have already been titled.
- A completed Builder's Affidavit, for custom-built remanufactured vehicles.
- Current odometer reading and the Vehicle Identification Number of the vehicle from which the component was taken out. Vehicles older than 10 years are exempt from odometer disclosure.
- An Inspector's Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road. The Oklahoma Tax Commission authorized personnel or Motor License Agent will provide the report, following the vehicle inspection.
- A Bill of Sale for the vehicle and for important components.
- Completed Title Transfer with Lien if lien exists on any VIN used to construct a vehicle on which has been assigned an Oklahoma Assigned Number.
FEESWhen registering an antique/classic or custom-built/remanufactured vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate titling fees. In addition, Motor Vehicle Stamp Tax ($3.50) will have to be affixed and Excise Tax has to be paid. The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety accepts cash, money orders or checks.
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATIONYour custom-built/remanufactured or antique/classic vehicle's registration has to be renewed annually. The process for renewing the registration on a custom remanufactured or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.
- Auto Insurance is required for all custom-built remanufactured vehicles operated in Oklahoma.
- See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
- Antique/classic vehicles can be registered for a ten year period.
- Inspection is not required for those vehicles that intend to prorate.
- The Oklahoma Assigned Number is the valid VIN for an assembled motorcycle or vehicle.