How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Louisiana
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Louisiana. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Louisiana for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to an OMV near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In Louisiana, an antique is defined as any vehicle at least twenty-five years old and has not been altered from its original design. A Street Rod is a vehicle manufactured before 1948 or reconstructed and modified with modern additions/modifications to resemble a vehicle manufactured prior to 1948.
- The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts or from kits. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built." The model year will be the year in which the vehicle was built. A kit car is any vehicle assembled from a kit along with the chassis or power train of a pre-existing vehicle.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLEYou will have to visit an OMV near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the OMV:
- A completed and notarized Vehicle Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
- Notarized Bills of Sale for all the parts that were used.
- A completed and notarized affidavit to register as an antique vehicle.
- Proof of insurance.
- A physical inspection report by the Louisiana State Police Troop, along with a VIN assignment receipt for a custom-built vehicle.
- Current odometer reading.
Office of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 64886 Baton Rouge, LA 70896