How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Tennessee
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Tennessee. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is same as registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Tennessee for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a Department of Revenue, County Clerk Office near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In Tennessee, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured over twenty five years ago and has had no alterations.
- The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has not been built by a remanufacturer or a licensed maker. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built." For custom vehicles that have never been titled, the model year will be the year of the vehicle that it resembles most.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE
You will have to visit a County Clerk's Office near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the renewal office:
- A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled. You may also use Certification for Antique Registration form.
- Bill of Sale for the vehicle or of the components used.
- An Inspector's Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road and an emission test report from the Division of Air Pollution Control in your county.
- Proof of identity and address proof.
- Odometer Disclosure for change in ownership.
When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate titling fees. Check with your County Clerk Office on the exact amount to be paid and the accepted methods of payment.
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Your antique vehicle's registration is permanent and is not required to be renewed, unless the vehicle ownership changes. Your custom-built vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.
- Auto Insurance is required for all custom vehicles operated in Tennessee.
- See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
- Antique vehicles can be used in exhibits, club activities, displays, tours, parades etc as a collector's piece. It can be used for general transport purposes only on Sunday and Saturday. Violation draws penalty.