Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of New Jersey. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into New Jersey for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a MVC office near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In New Jersey, an antique or collector's vehicle is one that is a limited edition, no older than 25 years, must not be driven for more than 3,000 miles a year and must be insured as a collector's vehicle.
- The State defines a custom-built vehicle as a specialty vehicle which includes reconstructed kit cars, salvage vehicles and glider cars besides vehicles purchased by the government and the military.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE
To register your antique or specialty vehicle, you will have to contact MVC at the Trenton location at:
Motor Vehicle Commission
120 S. Stockton and Front Street
Trenton, NJ 08611
Phone: (888) 486-3339
Before contacting the MVC, you must have the following documents ready:
- Bills of sales for all parts purchased.
- VIN number application if vehicle has never been assigned one.
- An Inspector's Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road.
To register a collector's vehicle, you will need all the following documents:
- Completed collector vehicle application.
- Letter attesting the vehicle's collector status by manufacturer or organization on letter head.
- Proof of limited-use insurance
- Photographs of all four sides of the vehicle.
Send these to the MVC at Trenton:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle Status
I/M Support Unit
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680
Once the application is processed, only allowed by mail, you will be required to take the approval letter, the original application along with the appropriate fee to a MVC office near you
. You will be issued a collector vehicle voucher.
When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate titling and registration fees
. The New Jersey MVC accepts cash, money orders, checks (with two forms of identification) or credit cards.
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle