How to Handle a Change of Address in Iowa
If you are an Iowa resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license and, if you are moving from one county to another, your vehicle registration and title certificate.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) of a change in address within 30 days of moving to a new residence, and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license station is simple, and can be done in person, via mail, or fax.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the driver license station nearest you.
- Fill in and submit the Change of Address form.
- Pay the fee of $1.00, in cash only.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Complete the change of address form and mail it to the following address:
Office of Driver Services
Iowa Dept. of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306-9204
- Ensure the form has all relevant information including your name, license number, new address and signature.
(Note: This will only initiate the process. You will still need to visit your nearest driver license station to pay the $1.00 fee and collect your license).
Reporting an address change by fax:
- Complete the change of address form and fax it to the number 515-239-1837.
- Ensure the form has all the relevant information including your name, license number, new address and signature.
(Note: As with mailed applications, this will only initiate the process. You will still need to visit your nearest driver license station to pay the $1.00 fee and collect your license.)
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- If you are relocating to another Iowa county you must notify the Iowa County Treasurers' Office from your prior county of residence of a change of address and instruct them to forward the updated information to your new county of residence.