- Bill of Sale: Comprehensive and Short-form printable documents
- Driving Records: Delivered instantly online
- Pay Traffic Tickets: Subject to availability by location
- Vehicle Registration: Renewals, Replacements and Transfers
Also available online:
California Department of Motor Vehicles Locations and Hours
FIND CALIFORNIA DMV OFFICE LOCATIONS
Click here to find your local California dmv office location
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE STATE DMV
Telephone customer service representatives are available to provide general information from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Wednesday. Pre-recorded general information is available at all other times.
California Department of Motor Vehicles Services
(800) 777-0133 - toll-free, within California
(916) 229-0370 - from out-of-the United States
(800) 368-4327 - TTY (for hearing or speech-impaired individuals)
Alternate phone numbers are available for information about specific topics.
For driver services mail:
Driver License Inquires Department of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 942890 Sacramento, CA 94290-0001
For vehicle services mail:
Vehicle Registration Operations Department of Motor Vehicles P. O. Box 942869 Mail Station E 254 Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
Non-U.S. Citizens can mail:
Department of Motor Vehicles Customer Communications C-165 P. O. Box 932345 Sacramento, CA 94232-3450
You may also contact the DMV via email with specific questions or issues.
- Email form for issues concerning Driver Licenses.
- Email form for issues concerning online inquiry form.
- Email form for issues concerning intrastate vehicles.
- Email form for general information.
LOCATIONS BY REGIONThe California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has locations in all regions throughout the State. Click here to find the DMV office location nearest you.
APPOINTMENTS AND SCHEDULINGApart from visiting DMV locations to schedule your vision, knowledge and road tests, you may also use the DMV website or contact DMV to schedule certain activities in advance:
- Make a road test appointment, or reschedule an existing appointment.
- Make an Office Visit appointment for driver services (license, non-driver ID, permit) or vehicle services (title, registration, tags). A maximum of three transactions is allowed to be scheduled online.
- Call the DMV at (800) 777-0133 to schedule appointments (if you have more than three transactions, or need to make a road test appointment, you will have to schedule it by talking to a representative during business hours).
- Call the DMV Automated Appointment Service at (800) 921-1117 to make appointments for license or registration related transactions.
TYPES OF LOCATIONS
- DMV Public Offices handle issues concerning titles, registration, licenses, commercial licenses, non-driver IDs, permits and more. You can also schedule your vision, knowledge and road tests here, although road tests for commercial licenses are performed only at commercial driving test offices. Public Offices are open Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm (excluding Wednesday (9:00 am - 5:00 pm), except legal holidays; but timings, services and days of operation vary from office to office. Some Offices are open on Saturdays, 8:00 am-12:00 pm. Please verify the hours and services at your preferred Office before visiting in person.
- Commercial Driving Test Offices deal with road tests for commercial licenses. Commercial Driving Test offices are open Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm (excluding Wednesday (9:00 am - 5:00 pm), except legal holidays; but timings and days of operation vary from office to office. Some Offices are open on Saturdays, 8:00 am-12:00 pm. Please verify the hours at your preferred Test Office before visiting in person.
- Smog Test Stations are available for vehicle inspections. Click here to find a Smog Check Station near you. Operating hours for State Inspection Stations are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm (excluding Wednesday (9:00 am - 5:00 pm), except legal holidays; but timings and days of operation vary. Some Offices are open on Saturdays, 8:00 am-12:00 pm. Please verify the hours at your preferred Test Station before visiting in person.
- The DMV also has Driver Safety Offices, Investigations Offices and Inspector Offices which offer other specialized services, but are not involved with title, registration or license related transactions.