is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Wisconsin

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Wisconsin is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.


  1. A renewal notice will be sent to you approximately two months before your current CDL is due to expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
  2. You must renew your CDL in person, at your local driver service center.
  3. You must pass the vision test.
  4. You will need to present your social security card.
  5. Bring the following items with you to the local driver service center when renewing your commercial driver's license:
  6. Your current Wisconsin commercial driver's license.
  7. Your Wisconsin Commercial Driver's License renewal notice.
  8. You must also bring the correct CDL renewal fee. Fees vary, depending on the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local driver service center on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.


If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a background check by the Transportation Security Administration. The DMV will issue you a renewed CDL without the Hazmat endorsement till the background check process is completed successfully.

  1. In addition to a $44 fee paid at the DMV, you must pay a non-refundable fee of $37.25 at a Pearson VUE service center, a fingerprint collection point in Wisconsin.
  2. You will need to make fingerprinting appointment online at Wisconsin fingerprinting or by calling (866) 416-4896, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am-4:30 pm.
  3. Bring your commercial driver's license and an acceptable proof of citizenship. You must also have completed your HAZMAT test and application (form MV3735) at a DMV office before you come for your appointment.
  4. Once your prints have been collected, Pearson will send them along with your information and fees to the Wisconsin Department of Justice who will forward it to the FBI and the TSA will start the background check.
  5. An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
  6. Once the TSA has sent its approval notice, the DMV will mail you a CDL with the H endorsement. You will be required to pass the HAZMAT knowledge test every time you renew your endorsement.


Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By