Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in South Carolina is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- A renewal notice will be sent to you indicating when your current CDL will expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local DMV office.
- Bring the following items with you to the local DMV office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current South Carolina commercial driver's license.
- Proof of identity, social security and legal residence.
- Proof of medical eligibility for a CDL as set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- You must also bring the correct CDL renewal fee. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local DMV office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- You must complete and submit Form 447 to your local DMV office. After that you must complete and pass a HAZMAT test and pay the required fees for the test. Once you pass the test you will be given a TSA application.
- Take the completed TSA application to one of 10 fingerprinting centers in South Carolina and pay a non-refundable fee of $83.00 to initiate the process. You may have to pay any other test or renewal fees you may not have paid previously. The fees for the background check are in addition to the CDL renewal fees and test fees.
- Once you prints are taken the collection center will forward your prints to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), who will forward your prints to the FBI.
- The DMV will send your application to the TSA for the background check.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check. The TSA will also send the approval notice to the DMV.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local DMV office, and you will be issued a CDL with HAZMAT endorsement.
- In order to renew your CDL, you will have to provide the DMV with all information about previous out-of-state licenses you may possess. The DMV will also check your driving history before they renew your license.
- If your CDL has been expired for more than six months, you will have to go through the process of obtaining an initial CDL. Refer to the South Carolina CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.