How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Oregon
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Oregon is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- A renewal notice will be sent to you indicating when your current CDL will expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local DOT office.
- Bring the following items with you to the local DOT office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Oregon commercial driver's license.
- Residential address proof, proof of your name, proof of your Social Security number and proof of identity, date of birth and legal residence in the US.
- Your Oregon Commercial Driver's License renewal notice.
- A valid Department of Transportation (DOT) medical certificate or valid exemptions.
- If you are over 50 years old, you will have to pass a DOT vision test.
- You must also bring the correct CDL renewal fee. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local DOT office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal. The DOT in Oregon does not accept debits cards or credit cards and fees have to be paid by cash or by check. The Oregon DOT only renews licenses for 8 years.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $84.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card and legal residence proof to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local DOT office, and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.
- If you did not receive a commercial driver's license renewal notice, you can still renew your CDL up to 4 months in advance at your local DOT office.
- In order to renew your HAZMAT you will need to meet all the qualifications of a CDL and pass the test every time you renew your license. Only start a background check with IBT once you have received notification from the DOT.
- In order to upgrade your license, refer to the Oregon CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.