Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Ohio is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local BMV office.
- Bring the following items with you to the local DMV office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Ohio commercial driver's license.
- Any updated information such as change in address, name and legal residence
- You must also bring the correct CDL here.. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local BMV office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration
. It is mandatory to do this at least a month before your CDL expires to allow for sufficient processing time.
- Pass the written HAZMAT test.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local BMV office, and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.