Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Ohio is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local BMV office.
- Bring the following items with you to the local DMV office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Ohio commercial driver's license.
- Any updated information such as change in address, name and legal residence
- You can find the correct CDL fee here. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local BMV office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration. It is mandatory to do this at least a month before your CDL expires to allow for sufficient processing time.
- Pass the written HAZMAT test.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local BMV office, and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.
- If your CDL has been expired for more than six months, you will need to take several tests in order to renew your CDL. Refer to the Ohio CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- You no longer have to bring your Social Security card to the BMV when you renew your CDL.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.