Get Your New York Practice Test
PREMIUM PRACTICE TESTS
- Pass your DMV driver’s license test the first time
- Cut study time in half with our Cheat Sheet
- Get tested with relevant Practice Test questions
- Includes Road Sign test
Get prepared for the 2016 New York Written Drivers Exam with our comprehensive and update-to-date practice tests and study guides. Our exam prep tools are designed to give you a complete understanding of all the topics covered on the real DMV exam, including traffic laws, road signs, hazardous driving precautions and much more. Start studying today!
Take Your Premium Test Nowor take a FREE sample practice test
New drivers fail the written driving test on their first try.
You are 5 times more likely to pass the DMV test after taking our premium practice test.
Legit DMV New York questions.
You can find Driving Practice Test questions from the relevant sections of the official New York Driver's Manual.
All types of driving test questions in one place.
Take the test and become confident about your knowledge on road rules and traffic laws.
Save time with testing options.
Verify knowledge by using the online Practice Drivers Test or the PDF format. Take the option which suits you best and practice as many times as needed to get a great score.
No payment risk involved.
A full refund will be certified if you do not pass the written knowledge exam with the help of the DMV.com Practice Test.
Practice Tests for New NY Drivers
Use the DMV.com all-inclusive study tools to drill through the driving test questions designed for the New York written drivers test. The Driver’s License Practice Test and Study Guide packet is specifically designed to minimize your study time. These reliable study materials pave the way to a passing score on the New York written DMV exam. The DMV.com Premium Study Package is an effective and comprehensive guide through traffic rules tested at the official NY DMV location.
Did You Know? 45% of the New York new drivers get passing scores on their first DMV knowledge exam.
The DMV.com Study Guide and Practice Test provide a reliable strategy to ensure you join the passing rate statistic.
How to Pass The New York Written Driver's Test
If you are unsure about how to study for and pass your New York written driving test, DMV.com provides the study tools you need to enter the Department of Motor Vehicles confidently and full of useful knowledge on Test Day. Just follow these three steps to foolproof test prep:
- The first step to getting your learner's permit is to study the New York Driver's Manual. Read through the road rules and check the safe driving tips.
- Once you finish reviewing all the general information, bind your studies by using the DMV.com Study Guide.
- After you have finished studying, take our proven NY Practice Driving Exam to test your knowledge.
Try your hand at our FREE copy of the Sample Practice Test. The questions on the sample exam are similar to what you will find when you take your official driver's test. By taking the Sample Practice Test online now, you'll get a better sense of what content will be delivered on the actual NY DMV test. The complimentary sample test will give you a hint of what appears on the DMV.com Practice Driver Test, which covers all important topics on New York's road regulations.
Road Rules to Study
Studying the New York Driver's Handbook repeatedly requires a major commitment, which is why we have condensed the most important DMV topics for New York drivers in our study materials. When using the DMV.com study packet in preparation for your NY driver exam, you will find detailed information on the following:
- Road rules
- Traffic signals
- Intersections and turns
- Steering, acceleration and braking rules
- Inclement weather driving
How to Ensure Your Passing Score
The key to a passing score on the New York written drivers exam is to learn all of the traffic road rules and signs. To do so, thoroughly study the DMV New York Driver's Manual. All of the relevant test sections are included in the driver’s handbook. In addition to the basic studying from the Department of Motor Vehicles' manual, make use of the DMV.com Study Packet as a guaranteed learning aid.
In the DMV.com driving test prep materials, drivers will find all topics from the driving course are explained in a condensed and simple way. By delivering both necessary accurate information, the study bundle provided saves you valuable time. There's no need to take notes – the driver study package will do this for you! In addition, there is unlimited access to the online practice driving exam, so you can continue testing until you are secure with the material. Before you schedule an appointment to take the official DMV exam, DMV.com allows you to check your knowledge and confirm your status as a successful driving test candidate.
Knowing When to Take the New York Driving Test
Achieving a 90% or higher on the DMV.com Practice Test ensures you are ready for the official DMV written exam. A score of less than 90% is a reminder that you need to block out some extra time to continue your driving studies. Luckily, you can take the DMV.com Practice Test as many times as you need, until you feel 100% confident with the material prior to Exam Day.
Test Day Tips
After you have cemented your DMV knowledge through our Drivers Test Study Packet, you will be ready to schedule an appointment to take your NY driving test. Below, find some additional tips to keep in mind, come Test Day:
- To take the official New York written driving exam, you must be at least 15 years old. Apply for a learner's permit once you turn 16.
- The current New York written drivers test is composed of 20 questions. You must get at least 14 questions (70%) correct to receive a passing score. At least two of these correct answers must be about traffic signs.
- The cost to get a driver’s license in New York varies between $80 and $90.This includes the fee for the written drivers test.
- There is no need to pay additional fees if you fail the NY written driving test your first time. You can take the knowledge exam again, free of charge.
- If you live in the counties of New York City, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Onondaga or Albany you can make an online appointment to submit your learner's permit application.
- The DMV road test for motorcycles requires at least 30 hours of driving practice, with at least 10 additional hours in high traffic. When you pass the road skills test, you will get a Class M or Class MJ motorcycle learners permit.
Being thorough on your practice test pays off. Our success rates with drivers who have utilized our study tools is a guarantee you will score a passing grade on the official drivers permit exam. It is our promise to issue a full refund to candidates who do not pass the test on their first attempt.
If you are over the age of 16, once you pass the written drivers license test, you can submit the application for a new NY drivers license at the same DMV branch office. To apply for your license to drive in New York, have the following details ready:
- Proof of Social Security number
- Proof of name, age, and identity and in value of six points or more:
- Driver's license/driving permit/non-driver ID card
- Statement of Identity by Parent/Guardian
- A valid U.S. Passport
- Foreign passport in English and with a U.S. Visa
- Certificate of car title
- Professional license
- Vehicle registration
- Birth certificate
- Birth registration
- Name change documents (if applicable):
- Adoption documents
- Official name change documents
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce legal papers
- Domestic partnership documents
Aside from English, the New York written drivers test is available in the following languages:
Documents Needed for Noncitizens
According to New York legislature, the New York DMV provides driver’s licenses to non-U.S. residents living in the state. In order to apply for a learner’s permit or get a drivers license, non-U.S. citizens must provide documents proving identity and New York residency. Accepted documents include the following:
- Valid U.S. Re-entry Permit
- Valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document
- Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization
- Permanent Resident Identification Card
- Valid U.S. Employment Authorization Card
- U.S. Military Photo Identification Card
After the Written Test
Although the multiple testing option in New York is free of charge, keep in mind, retaking the written drivers test requires you to pay extra fees for the supporting documents. (DMV.com's effective Practice Test package will assist you for first-time success.) In New York, drivers can apply for their first driving permits once passing the DMV written test. Additionally, keep the following in mind:
- Once you have received your permit to drive, then comes preparation for the road skills test. We recommend that you take the full advantage of the six-month interim period as restricted by your learner's permit to drive in varied road conditions.
- When the time comes to schedule your New York DMV road skills test appointment, you must provide a vision test certificate with that states you have a visual acuity of 20/40.
- To be issued a NY provisional license, all applicants must complete 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of drivers training beforehand.
PRACTICE TEST Frequently Asked Questions
How much do I need to pay to get my driving permit?
The fee for the learners' permit can vary from $64.25 to $92.50 and depends on your age. The fee for beginner drivers younger than 16 and-a-half years is $80. Drivers between 17 and 17 and-a-half years pay a fee of $92.50. If you are over 21 you need to pay $64.25.
Which ID documents will do the job as proof of identity? Some DMV offices provide docs checklists, is there one for New York?
Any official document that proves that you are the person to submit the application can serve as proof of identity. Applicants usually provide an ID card or a valid passport. And yes, the New York DMV does provide a checklist of acceptable documents. Find it here.
I will be turning 18 in February. Can I take on the road skills test on my own? I want to take lessons with my dad - can we do that at home?
You need to get your parents' consent in writing to take on the road test. Assuming that you have completed the required drivers ed in high school or another official institution your dad can assist in the supervised driving practice.
What Our Clients Are Saying
- Use effective study tools to ace the driver’s license test
- Quickly learn important traffic laws and road signs
- Be prepared with New York-specific Practice Test questions
- Pass the first time or your money back!
Premium Study Tools
The DMV.com New York Study Guide and Practice Test are the No. 1 study resources for beginner drivers. The Study Guide simplifies complicated sections of the New York Driver’s Handbook, while the Practice Test gives you plenty of chances to prepare for the official written driver’s exam. Not to mention that by incorporating these tools, you will learn the traffic rules in and out – and in half the time.
Pass Your DMV Permit Test the First Time
Save time studying for the DMV written exam with real questions based off of the official New York driver’s handbookGET STARTED NOW
Subscribe For Updates
Stay current with the latest news on the DMV and automotive industry.