Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Nevada is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your CDL is up for renewal every four years. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local full-service DMV office.
- Bring the following items with you to the local full-service DMV office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Nevada commercial driver's license.
- Residential and identity proof.
- Your Nevada Commercial Driver's License renewal notice.
- A completed Medical Examination Report indicating that you have taken a physical examination approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) within the last two years.
- The correct renewal fees. Fees vary depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local full-service DMV office before arriving for renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration. Start the process at least 30 days prior to the expiration of your CDL, to allow for sufficient processing time.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check. (The check may take one to eight weeks.)
- Go to your local full-service DMV office or Commercial Driver License Office to write the Hazmat Endorsement test. Once you successfully complete the test, the endorsement will be added to your renewed CDL.
- If you have two or more moving violations against your driving record in the last four years, you will need to pass a knowledge test again before renewal. You many also need to give a skills test. Skills tests are administered at Commercial Driver License and Motor Carrier Offices.
- Go through the Nevada CDL driver's manual to refresh your memory on CDL rules and regulations.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section and Commercial Drivers Basics for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a New CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.