In the state of Nebraska, people usually enroll in traffic schools or driver education and training courses for the following reasons:
- As a mandatory requirement to reinstate a revoked license.
- As a mandatory requirement if you are under 21 years of age and have accumulated 6 points.
- To get an employment driving permit – the course must be completed within 60 days of issuance of permit.
- To receive point credit on your driving record.
- To receive insurance discounts.
These programs are designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. The standard course is of eight hour duration. Click here for a list of Department of Motor Vehicle approved driver improvement programs.
Any driver can enroll in a Driver education and training courses at any time to receive the following benefits:
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
- Point credits – anyone who completes the course voluntarily will get a two point credit on their driving record. Remember to do the course before you reach the 12 point limit on your record. Credits will not be given to people doing the course as part of DMV requirement for reinstatement or to avoid suspension.
Note: You may only do this course once every five years.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the DMV (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these clinics.
Contact the course providers for information on fee, schedule and locations.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.