In the state of Mississippi, people enroll in traffic or defensive driving courses mainly for three reasons:
- After a traffic violation, the court may order the driver to take a course at a traffic/driving school to improve their safe-driving skills.
- To receive insurance discounts.
Traffic schools or defensive driving courses are designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. There are many such courses available in Mississippi and these days you even have online courses. Remember to make sure that the course you enroll in is approved by the Department of Public Safety. Contact the local DPS office for a list of approved courses. If the clinic has been court-ordered, please ensure that the court will accept a certificate of completion from an online course, before enrolling in a computer based one.
Any driver can enroll in a Defensive driving course at any time to receive the following benefits:
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the DPS (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these clinics.
The fees for these courses vary across providers. Please contact the course provider for more details on individual pricing.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.