In the state of Indiana, traffic schools are often referred to as ‘Driver Safety Programs. The reasons why people enroll in the Driver Safety Program:
- After a traffic violation, the court may order the driver to take a course as an option against suspending a license or as an additional penalty for those accumulating 18 or higher points in two years. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) may order the program for a person with two or more convictions for traffic violations.
- To receive insurance discounts.
- To remove four points from your driving record for Indiana once in three years.
- To get a waiver of the road test requirement by passing a driver education course conducted by an approved provider.
This program is designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. The Driver Safety Program is a four hour course and is available as Class instruction or Home study/DVD. Online courses are also offered in Indiana. If the course has been court-ordered, please ensure that the court will accept a certificate of completion from an online or in-class course, before enrolling in a computer based course.
Any driver can enroll in a Driver Safety Program at any time to receive the following benefits:
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
- Driving Points - you will receive four points if you complete a course. These points can be used to counteract demerit points.
Note: If you take a driver safety program for the insurance benefits you may not qualify for the safe driving points. Also, if the course has been court ordered you will not be eligible for the insurance premium discount.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the BMV (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver safety program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these courses. You will have to pay the fee or finish the course and if it is NOT completed successfully in the specified time your driving privileges will be suspended.
Depending on the location, the four hour program or online courses can cost up to $50.00. Please contact individual providers for more details on individual pricing.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.
- Online courses are available for truck drivers and mature drivers.
- Requirement of undergoing this program is notified by mail.
- For details of driver safety programs approved by BMV, call (317) 233-6000 option #1.