You must renew your Georgia Commercial Driver's License (CDL) every five years. Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Georgia is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- You must renew your Georgia CDL at least 60 days before your CDL is to expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- Renewal is possible only in person at the local DDS office. CDLs cannot be renewed by mail or online.
- Pay the required renewal fee of $20.
- Take a vision test, if needed.
- If adding an endorsement or removing a restriction, additional fees and testing are required. Remember that adding an endorsement is like applying for a new CDL. There is an additional fee of $5 for each endorsement. The endorsement application is available on the DDS site.
- If required to take a skills test, make sure to make an appointment before arriving at the facility. The tests are given only in Gainesville, Jackson, Milledgeville, and Thomson. Make an appointment first by calling (678) 413-8500.Hours of operation are generally Tuesday-Saturday, 9 am-4:30 pm. Verify the hours at the office before appearing in person.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration
. If you visit the HAZMAT Endorsement (HME) Threat Assessment Program (HTAP) you can see which steps you need to take and follow to get the HazMat endorsement on your renewed license. You can do all steps online, from checking required documents to making an appointment and checking the status of the HazMat application. Once submiteed, fees are not refundable. When you make the appointment you need to bring the aplication with a valid photo identification document, proof of citizenship or immigration documents and the old license copy. The enrollment centers are in Atlanta, Georgia.