Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Arizona is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local MVD office.
- You will have to take a vision test at the MVD
- Bring the following items with you to the local MVD office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Arizona commercial driver's license.
- A valid Arizona Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination form.
- You must also bring the correct CDL renewal fee. Fees vary, depending on the type of vehicle and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local MVD office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- Pass the HAZMAT written test.
- Pay a non-refundable fee of $94.00 to initiate a background check. You can do so by calling the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Once you have passed the test, you will have to present a Hazmat Background Check Authorization Form at an authorized fingerprint collection office. Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local MVD office, and you will be issued a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement
- If your CDL has been expired for more than a year, you will have to take several tests in order to renew your CDL. Refer to the Arizona CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.