How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in North Dakota
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in North Dakota is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- You can apply for a renewal 10 months before your current CDL is due to expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, only at Automated DMV Sites.
- Certificate of examination by a US certified health care provider required every 24 months, to drive a commercial motor vehicle.
- You must have a vision test at the time of renewal. Or you need to have a vision certificate from an optometrist. The certificate should not be more than six months old.
- You must also bring the correct CDL acceptable proof of name and date of birth. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local DMV office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local MVD office, and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.
- If your CDL has been expired for more than one year, you will need to take several tests in order to renew your CDL. Refer to the North Dakota CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.