How to Register a Boat or Water Craft in North Dakota
Most new boats must be registered through the North Dakota Game and Fish Department before they can be sailed.
VESSELS THAT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
- Any motorboat (including those using motor as a secondary propelling source).
VESSELS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION
- Any boat that is propelled only by oars or paddles.
- Boats registered in another state and not being used in North Dakota for more than 90 days.
- Boats registered in another country temporarily plying in North Dakota waters.
- Vessels documented by the U S Government.
- Boats owned by the United States, a solitary state, a county, or a municipality.
- A ship's lifeboat.
TO REGISTER BY U.S. MAILThe boat registration application (available at any boat dealers, county auditors, and at the Game and Fish offices) and proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, invoice, bill of lading, certificate of origin, or out-of-state title along with appropriate fees can be mailed to:
North Dakota Game and Fish Department 100 North Bismarck Expressway Bismarck, ND 58501-5095.The North Dakota Game and Fish Department gives boat owners the privilege to use a 10-day Temporary Watercraft Permit, which can be created online and is free of charge. This can be used till the permanent registration comes.