In the state of Montana, people enroll in traffic schools or driver improvement programs mainly for two reasons:
- After a traffic violation where demerit points were awarded, the court orders the driver to take a course at a traffic/driving school to improve their safe-driving skills.
- To receive insurance discounts.
Traffic schools or driver improvement programs are designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. They also give you an in-depth understanding of the laws and discuss positive driving attitudes and habits as well as about substance abuse. The Department of Justice approved courses
have duration of at least four hours.
Note: Montana courts do not usually give you the option of attending traffic schools as a way to dismiss traffic tickets and you do not get any point credits.
- Drivers who complete state approved driver programs get a 50% reduction on license reinstatement fees.
- Any driver can enroll in a driver improvement program at any time to improve his or her driving skills.
- Insurance benefits - some insurance companies offer premium discounts to people who complete driver improvement programs. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
Note: If the course has been court ordered you may not be eligible for the insurance premium discount.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the MVD (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these clinics.
Fees are usually around $60. Please contact the provider for exact pricing.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.