How to Handle a Change of Address in Mississippi
If you are a Mississippi resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of the new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Mississippi Department of Public Safety of a change in address and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license office is simple and can only be done in person.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the driver license office nearest you.
- Bring your current license, along with proof of residency to prove your new address. This can be a utility bill, mortgage documents or a bank statement.
- There is a fee of $5 if you change your address prior to the renewal of your license.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATIONThe address change is effective the same time you get it updated on your driver's license. The Department of Public Safety will update your new address concurrently.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some Mississippi drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in Mississippi, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a driver license office. Please remember to bring appropriate proof of legal presence.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.