How to Handle a Change of Address in Missouri
If you are a Missouri resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Missouri Driver License Division of a change in address as soon as possible, after moving to a new residence, and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license office is simple, and can be done in person, via mail or online.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the driver license office nearest you.
- Bring your current license, along with proof to prove your citizenship or legal presence.
- If the expiry date for your license is within the coming six months, then your license is renewed instead of being replaced.
- Pay the applicable fee which varies with the type of license and the period for which it is issued.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Complete the Change of address form and mail it to the following address:
Missouri Department of Revenue Customer Services Division P.O. Box 100 Jefferson City, MO 65105-0100This, however, would only change the address in the records of the Department of Revenue (DOR) and not on the license.
Reporting an address change via the Internet:
- You can also report a change of your address by mailing DOR at email@example.com.
- You must include your name, license number, social security number and your new mailing address in the mail.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- You must also get the address updated on your Missouri Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done as soon as possible, after moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- You can report the change of address in person by visiting your nearest driver license office or call on (573) 751-4509 for further details.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some Missouri drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in Missouri, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a driver license office. Please remember to bring appropriate proper identification.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.
- See ShipCarAcrossCountry.com if you require auto shipping services relating to your move.