How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Maryland
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Maryland is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, only at full-service MVA offices.
- Bring the following items with you to the local MVA office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Maryland commercial driver's license.
- A valid Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) long form physical conducted by an authorized medical examiner or a valid exemption.
- Social security card.
- You will need to successfully pass the vision test.
- You must also bring the correct CDL here. You will need to pay renewal fee as well as an extra fee for the Commercial Driving Information System surcharge. Check with your local MVA office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must complete a number of steps.
- You can only renew your endorsement at five MVA offices; Waldorf, Salisbury, Bel Air, Glen Burnie Headquarters and Frederick. You must make an appointment by calling (800) 638-8347.
- You must bring a valid DOT medical card or valid waiver and pass the HAZMAT knowledge test.
- The MVA staff will process your HAZMAT application and electronically update your renewal application. You do not need to fill out an application beforehand, but it is helpful to know what documents and information you will be required to bring.
- The Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services (DPSCS) with collect your fingerprints and fee of $93.25 for the service and forward your information to the Criminal Justice Information Systems for a state and federal background check.
- Your HAZMAT application will be sent to the TSA who will run a background check. The TSA will then send you a letter informing you of your results.
- Once you receive an approval notice from the TSA, you will receive your renewed CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement.
- If you do not pass the TSA background check, you will have to surrender your CDL with HAZMAT endorsement to any local MVA office MVA office.
- In order to upgrade your CDL you will have to take various tests and fulfill additional requirements. Refer to the Maryland CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.