How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Massachusetts
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Massachusetts is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your nearest RMV Full Service Office.
- The state will conduct a check for driving violations and warrants pending against you. If you have any outstanding parking tickets or any unpaid fees or warrants pending, you need to show proof of payment before you can renew your CDL.
- You may have to take a vision test at the time of renewal.
- Bring the following items with you to the local RMV office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Massachusetts commercial driver's license.
- Completed application form.
- You must also bring the correct CDL renewal fee. Fees vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local RMV office on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration.
- Appear for and complete the Hazardous Materials Endorsement exam.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your nearest RMV Full Service Office and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.