FIND IOWA DMV OFFICE LOCATIONS
Click here to find your local Iowa dmv office location
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE STATE MVD
Telephone customer service representatives are available to provide general information from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Pre-recorded general information is available at all other times.
Iowa Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division
(800) 532-1121 - toll-free, within Iowa
(515) 244-9124 - for driver services, local in Des Moines
(515) 244-8725 - for driver services, local in Des Moines
(515) 237-3110 - for vehicle services, local in Des Moines
Alternate phone numbers are available for information about specific topics.
For driver services mail:
Office of Driver Services
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, IA 50306-9204
For vehicle services mail:
Office of Vehicle Services
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, IA 50306-9278
You may also contact the Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division via email with specific questions or issues.
LOCATIONS BY COUNTY
The Iowa Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) has Driver License Stations and County Treasurers' Offices in all counties throughout the State. Click here
to find the Driver License Station nearest you, and click here
to find the County Treasurers' Office nearest you.
APPOINTMENTS AND SCHEDULING
Apart from visiting MVD locations to schedule your vision, knowledge
and road tests, you may also contact the MVD to schedule certain activities in advance:
- Make a road test appointment, or reschedule an existing appointment for commercial licenses, by calling the Driver License Stations that offer this road test.
- Make a road test appointment, or reschedule an existing appointment for non-commercial licenses by calling the Driver License Stations that prefer appointments for road tests.
TYPES OF LOCATIONS
- Driver License Stations handle issues concerning licenses, commercial licenses, non-driver IDs, address change, permits and more. You can also schedule your vision, knowledge and road tests here. Driver License Stations are open Monday-Friday between 8:00 am-5:00 pm, except for legal holidays. Some Stations are closed on Mondays and some are open on Saturdays. Different License Stations operate at different hours and offer different services. Please verify the hours and services at your preferred Station before visiting in person.
- County Treasurers' Offices generally deal with vehicle services like titles, registration, registration renewals and more. Some of them also handle driver services like licenses, commercial licenses, non-driver IDs, road tests and more. General hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm, except for legal holidays. Timings for different offices or for different services in the same office may vary. Please verify the hours and services at your Treasurer's Office before visiting in person.