How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Iowa
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Iowa is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Iowa CDL will expire 5 years from the date of issue, on your birthday. You can renew it within two months without having to pay any penalty. A renewal notice will be sent to you indicating when your current CDL will expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local Driver License station.
- Bring the following items with you to the driver license station when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- Your current Iowa commercial driver's license.
- Residential appropriate identification.
- Social Security Number proof. You can give any of a number of proper identification as long as they are in the original; photocopies or faxes are not permitted. Your Iowa Commercial Driver's License renewal notice.
- A valid Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) long form physical.
- You must also bring the correct CDL fee. There might also be additional fees for the removal of an air brake restriction or including additional driving endorsements. Fees vary, depending on the age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with your local Driver License station on the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration. If you want to maintain the HAZMAT endorsement, you will have to take a written knowledge test, and undertake a background check every time you renew.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at (877) 429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date. You will be required to provide 2 proper identification prior to being fingerprinted and will be asked to verify the information on the application and sign it.
- A background check will be done by the TSA on the basis of this information and an approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local Driver License station and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal. A HAZMAT endorsement holder renewing a CDL is given three attempts to pass the HAZMAT endorsement on a non-expired CDL. If your CDL has already expired, you must obtain a HAZMAT test card from the CDL office in Charleston before taking the test.
- If the CDL is renewed within 2 months of expiry, no driving test is required. If you would like to upgrade your CDL, you will need to take several tests. Refer to the Iowa CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.