How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Hawaii
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Hawaii is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL. You need to renew your CDL every six years. For people 72 years or above, renewal needs to be done every two years.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your CDL can be renewed within six months before the expiry date. A Hawaii CDL is valid in all islands. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at one of the offices listed below. Call ahead to check office timings and testing hours.
Oahu CDL Unit
99-501 Salt Lake Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96818
Hilo Police Station
Hilo, HI 96720
Old Kailua Airport
Waimea Police Station
9835 Kaumaualii Highway
Waimea, HI 96796
Department of Finance
444 Rice Street
Lihue, HI 96766
Maui Service Center
70 East Kaahumanu Ave., Suite A-17
Kahului, HI 96732
Mitchell Pauole Center
Aiona Street and Ala Malama Ave.
Kauanakakai, HI 96748
Hana Police Station
Mile Marker 33
Lanai City Gym
- Bring the following items with you to the CDL office, when renewing your commercial driver's license:
- A completed Application for Commercial Driver's License (form DOT 4-764).
- Your current Hawaii commercial driver's license.
- Take a current photo to be affixed to your CDL.
- A completed DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate (form DOT 4-766).
- You must undergo a vision test. If you use corrective lenses, it should be noted in the Medical Examiner's Certificate.
- You must bring the correct CDL renewal fee of $30. Fees may vary, depending on your age and the endorsements on your CDL. Check with a CDL office about the exact fee before arriving for the renewal.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration for every renewal. It is also mandatory to take the HAZMAT endorsement written test. The passing score is 80%.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $94.00 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the Hawaii locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Except for the Honolulu office, locations in the neighboring islands are open only once or twice a month.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to the CDL office, and you will be permitted to test for HAZMAT at the time of renewal.
- You are required to carry a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical certificate with you at all times when on the road. This is a regulation mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Refer to the CDL driver's manual for the test requirements and rules.
- See our Commercial Drivers Education section for more information on CDLs.
- See also Applying for a new CDL and Replacing a Lost CDL.