How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Georgia
You must renew your Georgia Commercial Driver's License (CDL) every five years. Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Georgia is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- You must renew your Georgia CDL at least 60 days before your CDL is to expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- Renewal is possible only in person at the local DDS office. CDLs cannot be renewed by mail or online.
- Pay the required renewal fee of $20.
- Take a vision test, if needed.
- If adding an endorsement or removing a restriction, additional fees and testing are required. Remember that adding an endorsement is like applying for a new CDL. There is an additional fee of $5 for each endorsement. The endorsement application is available on the DDS site.
- If required to take a skills test, make sure to make an appointment before arriving at the facility. The tests are given only in Gainesville, Jackson, Milledgeville, and Thomson. Make an appointment first by calling (678) 413-8500.Hours of operation are generally Tuesday-Saturday, 9 am-4:30 pm. Verify the hours at the office before appearing in person.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration. If you go to www.hazprints.com and complete an application prior to visiting the print location, you can pay by credit card. If you state that you will be paying by money order or cash, you will not be able to pay by credit card at the print location. Most endorsements are valid for five years, but this may be subject to change. After the initial background check, only the fingerprint check is required during renewal.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $89.25 to initiate the process. Call the Integrated Biometrics Technologies (IBT) Help Desk at 1-877-429-7746, or visit their website at www.hazprints.com.
- Contact one of the locations listed on the IBT site to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring your commercial driver's license and social security card to the IBT office on the scheduled date.
- An approval letter will be mailed to you from the TSA, indicating that you have successfully completed the background check.
- Bring the TSA approval letter to your local DDS office to add the HAZMAT endorsement on your renewed CDL.