Traffic Ticket Attorneys - Connect with TicketVoid
Find Traffic Ticket Lawyers!
- Enter your DUI or traffic ticket information into Ticket Void websitte in a quick step-by-step process.
- Ticket Void matches your DUI or traffic ticket information for FREE with qualified DUI and traffic ticket lawyers in the State/County of the offence.
- A DUI or traffic lawyer within the Ticket Void network will contact you.
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Point System
Violating Florida driving and traffic laws can result in fines, the suspension of your driving privileges, and even imprisonment. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHS&MV) uses a point system to track violations and their corresponding penalties. Points are added to your driving record if you receive a traffic ticket for moving violations.
MOVING VIOLATIONS AND POINTS
Different violations are assigned different point values, which are added to your driving record. For instance, moving violations like careless driving, moving against traffic, improper lane change, and child seat violations, each carry three points. Four-point offences include reckless driving, failure to observe traffic signals and not stopping for a school bus. The number of points assessed for different speeding violations are as follows:
Exceeding the maximum speed limit by 1-14 mph:3 points
Exceeding the maximum speed limit by 15 mph:4 points
Exceeding the maximum speed limit resulting in crash: 6 points
View the complete Point Schedule to learn about the number of points associated with each type of moving violation.
You will be subject to specific penalties if you accumulate a certain number of points on your driving license:
- You will have your license suspended for 30 days if you accumulate 12 points or more in a year on your current driving record. If you have 18 points accumulated in 18 months, the suspension will be for 90 days. For 24 points earned within three years, you will have a 12 month suspension. A notice of scheduled suspension will be mailed to you. You may be imprisoned for driving with a suspended license.
- Driving violations and suspensions are much stricter for under age drivers and if you accumulate 6 points in 12 months, the license will be restricted to "business only" for a period of 12 months or in some cases till you are 18 years of age.
- Accumulating points on your driving license is also likely to increase your auto insurance rates. See our auto insurance section for more information about obtaining quality car insurance at competitive rates.
HOW TO CLEAR YOUR DRIVING RECORDThe Florida DHS&MV maintains a record of all the points added to your driving license. However, there are a number of ways in which you can remove points from your current driving record.
- If you remain violation or suspension-free, you can get points deducted from your current driving record.
- Taking a Basic Driver Improvement Courses or a Defensive Driving Course may enables you to pay lower ticket amounts of up to 18%, and may also qualify you for a reduction in your car insurance rates.
- Taking an Advanced Driver Improvement Course is recommended in case of licence suspension or repeated traffic violations.