How to Renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Florida
Renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in Florida is a relatively simple process compared to applying for a new CDL.
PROCEDURES FOR RENEWING YOUR COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
- A renewal notice will be sent to you indicating when your current CDL will expire. If your CDL has been lost or stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement CDL, rather than a renewal.
- You must renew your CDL in person, at your local DHS&MV office. Renewals are not accepted online or by mail.
- Bring your current Florida commercial driver's license with you to the DHS&MV office.
- You need to provide proof of legal presence.
- Take the vision test if you are 80 years old or older.
- Pay the CDL renewal fee of $50 with an additional $5 for each added endorsement.
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL ENDORSEMENT (HAZMAT)
If your CDL includes a Hazardous Material Endorsement that you wish to retain, you must undergo a fingerprint and background check by the Transportation Security Administration. It is advisable to do this at least a month before your CDL expires to allow for sufficient processing time. The renewal notice will have the date of expiration for your current CDL. Generally, CDLs with HAZMAT endorsements expire every four years and can be renewed anytime within a year of the expiration date.
- You must pay a non-refundable fee of $91.00 to initiate the process.
- Contact the nearest DHS&MV Office that deals with HAZMAT endorsements to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
- Bring the completed HAZMAT Application Form along with your commercial driver's license and social security card to your nearest DHS&MV Office that deals with HAZMAT endorsements on the scheduled date.
- The application will be forwarded by the office to the TSA for background check, after the fingerprinting is completed.
- At the time of application for a background check, you will receive an interim renewed CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement with a time-limit. Once TSA sends its approval to the DHS&MV, you will be mailed the renewed CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement valid for four years.