When owning and operating a vehicle it is very important to have some form of insurance in case of damage/injury to your vehicle, you or others during a collision. Accidents are unpredictable and that is why it is necessary to purchase the proper insurance and coverage for you and your vehicle. DMV.com will provide you with the critical information and advice you need to make the right decisions regarding your auto insurance.
Types of Auto Insurance
The different types of auto insurance available in the state of Wisconsin are as follows:
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance
- Property Damage Liability Insurance
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Insurance
Required CoverageThe following types of insurance along with the listed minimum coverage are required by state law to drive legally in Wisconsin:
- Bodily Injury/Death Liability of one person: $25,000
- Bodily Injury/Death Liability of two person: $50,000
- Property Damage: $10,000
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury per person: $25,000
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury per accident: $50,000
In the state of Wisconsin, all drivers must have liability insurance. Those who choose not to properly insure themselves will have their license and registration suspended if stopped by a police officer during an accident or traffic stop. In order to have these restored you must pay a $500.00 fee and file a SR-22 (Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate) with the Division of Motor Vehicles for three years. There is also the possibility that you will have to pay a fee to have your license and registration reinstated. Please see our article for more SR-22 information.
Why Get An Insurance Quote?Before purchasing car insurance or even if you already have a plan it is important to shop around for the right auto insurance provider. By obtaining more than one quote you ensure that you are getting the best offer. The providers listed on this page offer a free and convenient online application that makes getting your quote online quick and easy. The insurance companies listed on this page offer the most competitive rates in the industry and by getting multiple quotes for your auto insurance you're likely to save a significant amount of money each month.
What To Do In Case Of An Accident or To Make a Claim
- Call the police.
- Get information from all vehicles, drivers, witnesses and individuals involved.
- Make notes about the location, time and date of accident.
- Inform insurance company immediately.
What to do if Your Rates are Too High
- Get quotes from other suppliers. The providers listed on this page offer some of the most competitive rates in the industry.
- Enroll in a traffic school course which will either earn you safety points on your license OR reduce your insurance premiums.
- Drive more safely in the future.
- See the providers at the top of the page for cheap auto insurance quotes
- For more details on car accidents see Accidents
- For more information on Defensive Driving and Traffic Schools see our article on Driving Schools
- See SR-22 for further details about filing a Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate