How to Renew/Replace a Motorcycle License in California
HOW TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
A California Motorcycle License can be renewed online, by mail or in person at any local DMV office in the State. The California Department of Motor Vehicles notifies owners of the expiration date of their motorcycle license by mail in advance.
WHEN TO RENEW YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSE
Your California motorcycle license is generally valid for four years and will expire on your birthday. You can renew your license any time in the year leading up to its expiration or even after the expiration, without any penalty or without taking the road test or the knowledge test.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- A filled in form DL 44 in original, available at all locations or can be mailed on request by calling (800) 777-0133.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required along with proof of a true name.
- Appropriate renewal fee, payable by cash, check or ATM card (credit cards are not accepted).
- You will be required to give a thumb print, have a picture taken and pass the vision exam.
- If your renewal notice states that you must take a written knowledge test, then you must take the traffic laws and signs test as well. You can also schedule an appointment to speed up the process.
TO RENEW VIA THE INTERNETYou may renew your motorcycle license online only if you receive a renewal notice in the mail. You will require:
- A Renewal Identification Number as stated on the renewal notice.
- A verified Social Security number on file with the DMV.
- The same address as on the expired license.
- Have one of the acceptable credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover) handy or an e-check to pay the renewal fee.
TO RENEW BY U.S. MAILRenewal by mail is available only to residents who meet the following requirements:
- Your motorcycle license must not be expiring in the next 60 days.
- You must be under the age of 70 upon the expiration date.
- You must have no suspension or driving probation on your motorcycle license.
- You must not have violated a written order to appear in court in the last two years.
- You should not have more than two consecutive five-year extensions on your license processed via mail.
- You should not possess a driver's license from another state.
- Form DL 410 FQ (California Driver License Renewal by Mail Eligibility Information).
- A check with the appropriate renewal fee.
Department of Motor Vehicles ATTN: Renewal By Mail Unit PO Box 942890 Sacramento, CA 94290-0001
HOW TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSEA California Motorcycle License can be replaced in person at any local DMV office in the State. California does not accept applications for a replacement of a lost motorcycle license by mail, internet or telephone. Hence residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person cannot replace a lost license until they return. However, exceptions can be made for certain cases. For more information call (916) 657-7790.
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE LICENSEYou must replace your motorcycle license if your original license has been lost, stolen or destroyed.
TO REPLACE IN PERSONYou must:
- Make an appointment to save time.
- At the DMV office, fill in the Driver License Application (DL-44). This has to be signed with a DMV representative as the witness, and hence is not available online.
- The DMV might ask to see alternative identification. Persons under the age of 18 must have the application signed by both parents. If only one parent has sole custody, this must be stated on the application.
- Bring the correct fee. There is no fee for replacing a senior's license. Cash, checks, money orders and debit cards are the only forms of payment accepted. Credit cards are not accepted. Please contact your local DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
- If your lost motorcycle license was about to expire in the next 60 days, you can renew your license instead of applying for a replacement.